maandag 2 april 2012

My Bat Boy Days: Review

“my bat boy days: what I learned from the boys of summer” is the full title of the book written by Steve Garvey. A bit of a long title for a thin book (148 pages) with a large font.
Garvey describes what he’s learned in the six years (1956-1961) he was a bat boy for The Dodgers during spring training or exhibition games. After a short intro about how he became a bat boy, Garvey describes the players all in their own chapter: Reese, who I learned is part Dutch, Hodges, Robinson, Erskine, Snider, Campenella, Koufax and non-Dodgers Mantle and Kaline. Most of those players have an (auto)biography, but here you get a mini biography of each of them.
It’s an easy book, Garvey put in loads of quotes from biographies. One of the up sides, if you don’t know whose (auto)biography you want to read, is that you can read this book and pick the Dodger you want. A bit like CliffsNotes.
I felt the need to know more about The Duke so I’ll read ’The Duke of Flatbush’ first. Once again: an easy book, but it’s nice to see one of the Dodgers best players of the 70’s and 80’s paying tribute to those who wore Dodger Blue before him.

Van Ramblings of a Dutch Dodger

4 opmerkingen:

  1. I need to read this one too. I had a chance to buy this and get it signed at a Garvey appearance last year, but didn't. I regret it now.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Whoops... :) Well, you have other great stuff. And who knows, he might be signing again soon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Good stuff . I enjoy the site. MarioV.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen